At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems and transforming markets into a force for development.Project Overview
Pact is recruiting a Chief of Party (COP) for an upcoming USAID-funded program in Sri Lanka, Civil Society Organization Program. The Civil Society Organization Program will strengthen civil society organizations’ (CSOs) technical capacity, financial sustainability, and ability to constructively engage the public and the government as a key driver of reform in Sri Lanka. This program will seek to build cooperation among CSOs, including between Colombo and provincial-level CSOs, and expand CSO partnerships and consultative processes with the Government of Sri Lanka to improve the civil society enabling environment and secure space for civil society engagement on policy reforms.Position Purpose
The COP will provide technical leadership and operational oversight for the project and will serve as the primary liaison with USAID and relevant project stakeholders. This position is contingent upon award. Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall technical direction of the project and management of project activities, providing leadership to the project team to ensure high quality programming to achieve project results.
- Serve as Pact’s liaison to USAID, partners, the Government of Sri Lanka, and other key project stakeholders.
- Oversee project planning (i.e., development of work plans and operating budget) and reporting (i.e., review and approve periodic budgets and reports).
- Manage project budget to meet expected results, ensuring cost-effective use of Pact and donor resources.
- Ensure that Pact provides high-quality technical assistance to local partners; conduct regular monitoring and mentoring visits to local partners.
- Ensure that USAID and Pact reporting requirements on program impact are met. Oversee project staff in helping partners establish reporting and tracking systems to provide key information in an efficient and timely manner.
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local organizations, using customized capacity building tools and approaches to ensure measureable impact.
- Ensure close coordination with other relevant initiatives in country.
- Represent Pact at conferences, working groups, and meetings to support Pact’s thought leadership in civil society strengthening in Sri Lanka and the region.
- Provide regular written/oral program progress updates as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least 7 years of experience managing civil society strengthening and governance programs in a senior leadership and management role (Chief of Party, Project Director, Team Leader, etc.).
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in a relevant field, such as political science, public policy, or public administration.
- Prior experience working in South and/or South-East Asia.
- Demonstrated expertise in civil society strengthening, developing capacity of CSOs, developing civil society networks, and supporting civil society advocacy and engagement in reforms.
- Demonstrated track record in successfully building and effectively managing diverse teams of employees.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, creative problem-solving, and ethical management.
- Professional level English ability - both written and oral.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with governments and civil society partners.
- Prior experience managing USAID programs.
- Knowledge of the political/social context and civil society in Sri Lanka.
- Prior experience working in Sri Lanka, especially in civil society programming.